As I said before, I’ve been thinking of being slackertastic and filling in gaps with recipes. The ‘problem’ is that I don’t want to just gank someone elses’ recipes and cram them down your throats – I want to share original ones. Of course, I don’t do much of the cooking or innovatin’, so it’s not like I have a lot to share in that regard.
But I did remember this morning that I did have one that I wanted to write out, so you guys get stuck with that. And it’s a good time of year for it too – my take on chicken noodle soup. *grins*
* 250~ grams chicken
1. Defrost your chicken. Or if you’ve got some that’s chilling out fresh, good for you. Cut it into you-sized pieces and put it aside.
2. Boil 1.6 liters (about eight cups) of water. You don’t have to do this, but unless you’re using liquid stock, it makes getting started easier.
3. Transfer your water to your pot of choice. Add in your stock cubes. Myself, I use 3 OXO and 1 Knorr, though I do that out of spite//because I like the way it tastes. If you’re stateside, I think that Wyler’s cubes work at about the same ratio – try four. You can always add in another later if there’s a need.
5. Prepare and chop your carrots. I use about three, ‘cause it seems to be a nice amount.
6. Add your chicken to the pot.
7. Bring to a boil, if it’s not already boiling. If it is, then turn it down and cover to simmer for… oh.. half an hour? Until the carrots are cooked through, and the meat isn’t dangerous.
8. Oh yeah, stir in there once or twice. It can’t hurt, at least!
9. After you’re satisfied that the carrots and meat are cooked, add in your pasta. You can use any sort you want, really, but I think the shells are incredibly nice. Once those are in, stir and cover the pot again.
10. Wait about… oh.. 10, 15 minutes? You’ll probably want to stir in there once.
Really, you’ll know when it’s done when the shells begin to look disturbingly large and unfurled. You shouldn’t need to add any spices to it, but if you want to add a touch of pepper, that should be fine. If you want to add salt, you’re probably completely insane – stock cubes are tiny saltdeaths anyways!
But yes yes, today is a soupy day. We had that for lunch, and I intend to make Tortilla Soup tonight. I’ve got bread rising on the radiator, and I might whip up a loaf of banana bread if I talk myself into it. That’ll depend on where things stand once I bother making my real to-do list for this weekend…
Anyways, good times.