Several of my friends on Livejournal have been trying to post daily a small list of things they are grateful for on that day. I like the idea, though I’ve not given it a whirl yet. It’s hard to think great thoughts when depressed, but:
- Air Conditioning: This country is stupid humid; I don’t get along with humidity at all. So on days like this where it is both hot and humid, I am grateful that we have an A/C unit in our living room. For 2 or 3 pounds a day, it is worth it to not be completely miserable in one’s skin.
- The Husband Fellow: This one kind of goes without saying, but it should still be said often. He’s awesome and carries the weight of the world on his shoulders to make sure our family gets by. He does this without complaint or falter, and I am continuously amazed that he doesn’t resent my janky ass. He inspires me to try to do things, but not try so hard as to make myself worse off.
- The Kidlette: I hate babies. I hated the baby stage of my daughter’s existence, and I don’t look forward to doing it again. But man, I love human-shaped tiny people and their wonder and amazement and absurdity. I love watching her develop and really, she’s a fun little person.
- The Physical: I am pleased that my body mainly functions as it should. Oh sure, there’s creaks and groans and I couldn’t do a y-scale if my life depended no it, but my body does the things I need it to do. With my mind usually malfunctioning, I do not take this for granted, especially after years of poor health before having my child likely tied to endometriosis.
- Being in a Healthy Place: I love being in a country that suits me. I love that there is health care for all, and that it was possible with a little pushing to get help with finding out what’s up in my head. I admit this is complicated by the fact that I have no idea how to be a patient; we didn’t have money for health care growing up in the States.
So yeah, those are definitely of the every single day variety, but yanno… got to start somewhere.
Gratitude — No Comments